Thursday, March 31, 2011

You ask, I answer!

Laura asked what kind of protein powder I use, where I buy it, etc. I use a brand called Optimum Nutrition, 100% Whey and 100% Casein. In fact, as you can see in the picture, I have several different flavors. 


My absolute favorite and what I use daily (after my workouts) is the Tropical Punch flavor. If you're new to the protein powder world try mixing it with something other than water. Sometimes I like to drink my Tropical Punch with 8 ounces of Trop 50 orange juice. It only has 50 calories per 8 ounces and makes for a delicious protein shake. You can also throw it in the blender with some frozen or fresh fruit (1 cup), ice cubes (4) and some milk or OJ (8 ounces) and make it into a smoothie, it's to die for!

I typically only use the Vanilla flavor for baking. I'll be sharing some of those recipes with you in the future :)

The Casein protein is a little different. Casein is an extremely slow digesting and rich protein source that continues to feed your muscles long after whey proteins have dropped off.  Casein is important in preventing muscle breakdown so it is a good protein source to have before bed so your body is being fed throughout the night. Mine is Raspberry Smoothie flavored and I drink it with plain old water.

As far as where I buy my supplements and protein, the answer is the Vitamin Shoppe. They carry pretty much every flavor. Or you could always visit http://www.optimumnutrition.com. for the protein powder. 


This is my pink blender bottle which I'm obsessed with. The wire ball really does help blend the powder and the liquid. The best part; it doesn't leak at all which is a problem with a lot of the shaker cups! You can get this on the internet for less than $10!




I hope this answered your question Laura! I'm always listening and love sharing what I know with you. If I don't know it, I'll try to find the answer!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know anyone who has not enjoyed ON Whey protein. I have cookies and cream for Casein and its awesome!
    I mix all my protein with milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never asked you if all those were gluten free. Do you know or should I just check at the store? Also, you spend a lot of time on this. Working out, your food, your supplements, what if someone doesn't have quite as much time, what would be something you would reccomend? For example, I work 12 hour shifts at work and by the time I get home its late and don't have as much time to work out.

    ReplyDelete